‘De Juristen’ is a European legal firm specialized in ICT focussed, intellectual property & corporate law. They provide legal advice to medium and large sized organizations while creating innovative tools. One of those innovative tools is a virtual chatbot that gives an understandable answer to your legal questions. No law firm, but a messenger tool available 24/7 that guides you through the maze of rules and laws. And way cheaper.
- De Juristen required an infrastructure solution that would enable them to serve their virtual chatbot to a wide public audience.
- The solution was required to be able to scale with the increase or decrease of end user traffic.
- The developers needed to be able to deploy at any time in a controlled and repeatable manner with simple rollback possibilities.
- The solution needed to adhere to security best practises, due to the systems public nature and the legal nature of the information being handled by the system.
- The system must be setup in an automated manner in case the solution needs to be rolled out to other AWS regions.
The solution designed by Cloudar for De Juristen was developed with High-Availability and Scalabality in mind:
- AWS Elastic Beanstalk managed Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling Group, spread across 2 Availability Zones for scalability and maximum fault tolerance.
- Amazon ELB is used to balance traffic across the instances.
- Amazon RDS Backend, spread across multiple availability zones for high-availability.
- AWS Certificate Manager to remove the heavy lifting from managing SSL certificates.
- Amazon S3 object storage for static files.
- Amazon CloudFront for edge caching, to reduce overall load on the system by caching where appropriate.
- AWS CloudTrail to monitor the IAM actions taking place on the account.
We also made use of a number of AWS technical partner solutions:
- CloudCheckr© was used to ensure the setup complied with AWS best practices and to ensure ongoing compliance once the solution was in production.
- This infrastructure was managed using AWS CloudFormation, both code and infrastructure were deployed on AWS using Jenkins Pipelines making use of CloudBees© Jenkins plugins.
- Site24x7© was used in conjunction with AWS CloudWatch to ensure optimal performance across all environments.
And of course, we worked together with several other partners that helped turning this project into a success story :
- The successful launch of the first Legal Advice Robot in Europe.
- The use of automation allowed for repeatable deployments of both infrastructure and code which encouraged fast iterations in both the development and operations aspects of the project.
- Though the use of elastic infrastructure components the solution was able to scale to meet demand where needed thus ensuring that money spent on infrastructure is spent only when its being used.
- Through co-operation with other AWS Technology Partners we were able to en-sure continued compliance with AWS best practices and keep the application under a high state of monitoring in an environment with continuous changes and deployments.